YAF is looking for a Development and Communications Intern
The Youth Advocacy Foundation (YAF) is the non-profit arm of the Committee for Public Counsel Services’ Youth Advocacy Division (YAD). YAF supports YAD’s vision for holistic legal representation of children, with the goal of ending the School-to-Prison Pipeline. YAF partners with YAD to improve legal and educational outcomes for Massachusetts’ most vulnerable children. Our work is focused on protecting their rights to a quality education, and preventing them from being pushed out of school and into the juvenile and criminal legal systems. We primarily support the EdLaw Project, which provides education advocacy for systems-involved youth, as well as comprehensive training and support to the Massachusetts juvenile and child welfare bars.
YAF has been growing, and is looking for a Development and Communications Intern to assist in event planning, donor tracking and outreach, fundraising efforts, content curation, and editing, among other projects. This is an excellent opportunity for someone who is highly organized and flexible. We are looking for a self-starter who is just as happy tracking donations as they are in brainstorming a longer-term project they can take on. This person should have an interest in juvenile justice and public education, although prior work experience in the field is not a requirement. This is an unpaid internship; however, YAF is happy to work with students to arrange academic credit or support external compensation through grants, fellowships, etc. through their school or external organizations. Hours can be scheduled anytime between 9:00-5:00 Monday-Friday, and if necessary, can be switched to accommodate a changed class schedule during the spring semester.
This position will report to the Operations and Development Coordinator and will be located in our office in downtown Boston (close to Park St. station).
Duties and responsibilities may include:
· Assisting with donor database management (organizing deposits, documenting donations, recording donations in systems)
· Assisting with special event planning (this will include helping to prepare for our Annual Spring Celebration, which may entail silent auction/raffle solicitations, Eventbrite management, RSVP registration, donation tracking, and program book compilation)
· Assisting with general administrative duties (data entry, envelope stuffing, printing labels, etc)
· Helping kick off Young Professionals Giving Circle and associated events
· Helping coordinate marathon team (pending)
· Updating website/social media (squarespace website, twitter and facebook accounts)
· Creating/editing content for organizational use
· Drafting communications to supporters/donors
· Providing support in sending mailings/invitations (designing, printing, organizing, stuffing)
· Leading or supporting any additional projects as needed/interested (for instance blog posts, or an in-depth research project)
We are looking for students who can commit to a 9 month internship, who are responsible, reliable, and eager to learn. A basic understanding of Microsoft Word and Excel, as well as willingness to learning new software/web programs is important for this position, as much of the work will require sitting in front of the computer for large chunks of time. This position may be periodically exposed to confidential information and sensitive case issues, and discretion and maturity are paramount. Familiarity with Mail Merge is desirable, but not expected. YAF is committed to our interns’ ongoing learning and professional development and support scheduling attorney shadowing and court visits, attending relevant local talks, events, and conferences.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Eliza States at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “YAF Intern-Your First Name Last Name. Please attach your cover letter and resume as a single document (either .pdf or .word).
In your cover letter, please answer the following questions:
1. What interests you about this internship/our work?
2. What do you hope to get out of this internship?
3. Are you able to commit to 10-20 hours per week from September-May (excluding school holiday breaks), and potentially several evening events during the year? Are you available for our annual event and day-of prep (likely on a Thursday towards the beginning of May)?
4. Anything else you would like us to know about who you are, what makes you tick, and so forth.
Only applications sent via email will be considered for this position. If you have questions about this opportunity, please reach out to Eliza States by email (email@example.com) or phone (617-910-5840). We thank you for your interest, and for taking the time to apply for an internship at YAF.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis. The final deadline for applications is Friday, August 31st, 2018 at 5:00pm.